Welcome to HBSledgehammer University:
Online Education. ETHICS 104- SLAPP Lawsuits.
Professor: Miss Smith. 714-536-9303 email: mssmith@HBsledgehammer.edu
We have prepared this syllabus for your use.
In this class, we will cover the fundamentals of what constitutes a SLAPP Lawsuit.
Next we will cover why SLAPP Suits are filed Including:
- Attempts to silence political critics
- Attempts to intimidate political critics
- Confusion over the intent or direction of a statement.
- Inability of a public figure or business to accept the fact that they are disliked
- Inability of a public figure or business to effectively accept open criticism
- Mental Illness
- Being a total asshole
- And Finally, Bat Shit Craziness
The class will then review important case law pertaining to SLAPP suits including:
- HUSTLER MAGAZINE, INC. V. FALWELL 485 U.S. 46 (1988)
- Scott v. McDonnell Douglas Corporation (1974) 37 Cal.App.3d 277, 288.
- Fox Searchlight Pictures, Inc. v. Paladino (2001) 89 Cal.App.4th 294, 308.
- Barrett v. Rosenthal, 40 Cal. 4th 33, 41 n.4 (2006
- Ampex v. Cargle, 128 Cal. App. 4th 1569, 1576 (2005)
- Franklin v. Dynamic Details, Inc. (2004) 116 Cal.App.4th 375, 385.
- Chaker v. Mateo (2012) 209 CA4th 1138, 1148.
- Ghafur v. Bernstein (2005) 131 Cal.App.4th 1230,1238.
Finally, we will cover ANTI SLAPP law Including:
- The severe financial consequences of filing a bogus lawsuit
- The embarrassment of having your ass handed to you in open court
- The potential for the intended “Victim” of your SLAPP suit to mock you mercilessly
- The feeling of abject failure resulting from having your SLAPP suit tossed by a Judge within minutes of reading the complaint.
- And a recap of the additional fees and costs that the Plaintiff will pay as a result of a gleeful attorney for the defendant taking the case on contingency.